Info APAR ii13318 was created to address many of the concerns mentioned
from updates on this forum, and PMR's that were opened with level 2.

Kurt Acker
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      "Post, Mark K"
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      m>                       cc:
                      Sent by: Linux on        Subject:  Re: SAF & RedHat 7.2 install
                      390 Port
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      IST.EDU>

                      06/04/02 10:53 AM
                      Please respond to
                      Linux on 390 Port

Ken,

Three words of advice: Don't go there.

SAF was designed only as a migration tool from VIF to z/VM.  The IBM
developers have stated that they have no intention of enhancing the tool in
any way shape or form.  (And I doubt very much that any of the Linux/390
Redbooks will ever be updated to reference SAF.)

One of the mailing list participants tried to take it beyond that use, and
burned many, many, hours that could have been used more productively
learning how to do things in z/VM themselves.  (That's what he'd doing
today, and losing much less hair than before.)  I don't know who it was
that
"lead you to believe" SAF was what you wanted, but they were wrong.

So, disable SAF, and go back to the Redbooks and review what you need for a
"native VM" installation.  You'll be _much_ happier in the long run.