On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 10:47:09AM -0400, Geyer, Thomas L. wrote:
> I am trying to upgrade my SLES 2.4.7 kernel to 2.4.17. I have followed the
> procedure in the HOW-TO from linuxvm.org and in the Linux on zSeries and
> S390: Systems Management Redbook. When I try to boot the new kernel I get
> the following errors:
>
> Parallelizing fsck version 1.19a (13-Jul-2000)"
>
> fsck.ext2: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/dasdb1""

It sounds like you have devfs enabled, I believe it is the default and a
common stumbling block (I do it all the time). The easiest way to
upgrade a SuSE kernel is to grab the config file from the original
system by running the following in your source directory, e.g
/usr/src/linux :

gzip -dc /proc/config.gz > .config

This will give you the config of the running SuSE kernel, note that
once you move to a kernel.org kernel you won't have the config.gz patch
anymore.

When I work with SLES-7 I like to create a separate directory in /boot
for each new kernel I'm working with. Example: the default kernel is in
/boot/k_deflt (or close to that, sorry my machines are down for the
holiday) with /boot/kernel symlinked to the actual directory. So I'll
create something like /boot/k_test match the files from my kernel tree
into that directory, just like the default. So you wind up with image,
listing, .config, System.map and maybe there were more. Then you just
have to:
        rm /boot/kernel
and
        ln -s /boot/k_test /boot/kernel

Once this is done run zipl without any options. The *really* nice part
of this is if I make a non-booting kernel recovery becomes three steps:

1) mount the drive on another system (or boot off installation media)
2) re-link /boot/kernel to a working kernel
3) run zipl (chrooted to the drive is best)

We have a paper on installing DProbes and LTT that details the steps we
use for installation and recovery. Of course, I don't have a copy
available right now, as we are updating it to reflect changes in the new
version of dprobes and the release version of LTT. I'll post a link as
soon as we have it up.

Hope that helps.

Mike (from home, on vacation, why am I reading my mail?)