We just went through this here as well.  One of my colleagues (Dan Leonard)
actually did the leg-work on this and deserves credit - but here's what he
came up with (note: 238 identifies one of our Linux/390 systems):

OK, here's the deal: tzselect sets the variable TZ to the time zone you
select; great for a per session or per user basis, but not quite "global"
enough. On further investigation, I found that time is modified with the
/etc/localtime file, which on 238 was s-linked to /usr/share/zoneinfo/EDT.
That file does not exist on 238.  I changed the /etc/localtime link to point
to /usr/share/zoneinfo/EST5EDT, and all is well, at least for my purposes.
Let me know if anybody experiences any problems.

Michael Coffin, VM Systems Programmer
Internal Revenue Service - Room 6527
1111 Constitution Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C.  20224

Voice: (202) 927-4188   FAX:  (202) 622-3123
[EMAIL PROTECTED]