If you really want to know what was covered at the seminar, request paper handouts by
emailing Tina Linkens at
[EMAIL PROTECTED] If you are just mildly interested, here is a quick recap of the
CA/IBM/Sytek Linux seminar series:

The message from IBM (Len Santalucia) is that Linux is being embraced across all of
their product lines: x (for xTended
  with mainframe-like features -- Intel Architecture), I (for iNtegrated, aka AS/400),
p (for pErformance   aka
RS/6000), and, of course, z (for zEro downtime I think it may stand for something
else). Anyway, the point is that
Linux has been adopted by hundreds of mainframe sites and that the momentum is still
growing at a more rapid pace than
ever. IBM claims to have recouped its Jan2001 $1B investment by Dec2001.

CA's speaker (Sam Greenblatt) is responsible for CA's commitment to the OSDL community
($2.5M entry fee, by the way)
and is the former CTO of Candle Corp. He stated in no uncertain terms that CA views
Linux as a $20M+ commitment that
must spread across all their product offerings, from Unicenter to Brightstor (which
allows Linux on zSeries to take the
place of TSM for VM, by the way), to Jasmine (Database), to Cleverpath (a cool portal
product) and so on. CA now has 54
products GA'd for Linux, and 32 for Linux on z (the broadest of any vendor outside of
IBM).

Sytek's message is simple: We don't offer products (well, except for what we resell
for IBM, CA, and others_, just
services as a soup-to-nuts IBM and CA Business Partner. As the  Bob Vila  of Linux for
zSeries, we help strategize,
configure infrastructure, implement, and provide 24x7 post-install VM sysprog and
Linux admin services. We highlighted
how to cost-justify a Linux proposal to management (hint: we'll help you for free),
analyze the seven components of
your mainframe infrastructure in order to make sure your system is ready for Linux'
requirements, prepare for
implementation and post-installation support issues, and finally, our success stories
including UCLA Medical Center. In
addition, if you buy a mainframe from Sytek you'll get a free copy of me showing you
how to cheat on Wheel of Fortune!

If you just want to receive our part of the show, email me and I'll email you the .pps
presentation. We are planning an
online monthly Linux newsletter (to be published by our good friend Gabe Goldberg!) as
well; if you'd like to
subscribe, please send a request to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with any subject line
and/or note. First issue will go
out sometime next month.

(And Gregg, Rich was only joking about his ears -- He is 1/128th Ferengi and can't
avoid bragging about their
enormity!)

  >>  Hello from Gregg C Levine
  >>  Well yes. Everything Bob Kusche had to say about how his outfit goes to
  >>  work. And everything Len Santalucia offered about the whole area was
  >>  also interesting. But for some reason I found the way the CA presenter
  >>  made his points to be, well, odd. His subject matter was interesting.
  >>  Gregg C Levine [EMAIL PROTECTED]

---

Robert N. Kusche
Sytek Services, Inc.