From:   Alan Altmark [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Thursday, August 29, 2002 6:33 PM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        Re: Another article on LINUX & MF hardware

On Thursday, 08/29/2002 at 04:16 AST, "Kittendorf, Craig"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> We have 7 OS/390 processors.  I was told it would cost about $10,000 to
> convert one processor to an Integrated Facility for Linux (IFL).  Anyone
> know if this is close to being correct, or has anyone done this?

Craig, I strongly recommend that if you want to convert a standard CPU to
an IFL, then you should contact an IBM Business Partner or an IBM Sales
Rep to discuss directly.  Lots of people have added or converted to IFLs.
Remember that when you convert a regular CPU to an IFL, the model of the
box will reflect a smaller machine, reducing your OS/390 (and associated
stack software) monthly bill.

You will likely find that the savings in your monthly bill will more than
pay for the CPU conversion.  But, really, don't take my word for it.  Have
IBM or your BP work up the numbers for your specific case.  (Why should
you have to do all the footwork?  Let the vendor do it.)

Alan Altmark
Sr. Software Engineer
IBM z/VM Development