Let's be clear here.  "User friendly" is generally an issue only for systems
that are intended to be used by _users_.  Novel concept, eh?  While there
are many things about Windows that are extremely easier to use than Linux
for the general users, that's only important on desktop systems, something
we here are not extremely concerned about.  I'm only a "user" on systems
other people "own" and administer, never my own.

System administrators are expected to be more skilled than the general user
population, because the demands on them are higher.  The latest generations
of Linux desktop systems have made great strides in ease of use, even during
installation.  For people such as ourselves, that's not nearly as important
as being able to _get things done_, correctly, in the least amount of time.
That also includes things such as being able to figure out problems and
correct them.  Concepts such as the MS registry effectively prohibit that.
I have had to re-install Windows NT a number of times because of suspected
registry errors, and no way to figure them out and fix them.  In the Linux
and Linux/390 arena, I have had to rebuild and reinstall individual products
a number of times, but never the entire system, unless that's what I
_wanted_ to do.

To sum up, I would never describe (until fairly recently) Linux as being
user friendly to anyone, general user or system administrator.  But that's
not what I care about.