-----Original Message-----
Neale,
I do not quite understand what you are saying,
when a look at the rexx code i see a loop using various block sizes which:
1) writes to a file (with sufficient real storage, you will write to cache
only)
> In this instance the devices I'm using greatly exceed real memory.

2) sleep for 2 seconds (what happens here? is there an update type sync task
running which mignt take control?)
> I put in a sleep before (and after in a later version) to see if that
allowed things to settle down. However, I still get full reports.

3) rm of the file (iirc rm 'syncs' the inode & bam blocks asyncronously)
4) sync (which should not do much as the cache has been invalidated)

Do you mean to say that you get an fs full after removing the file (ie end
round though the loop)?

> Yes, I get a full condition reported after the remove and dd tries to
write its 1st record.

Note there's a typo in the exec. It should be: count = (10750000 * (4096 /
bs.I_bs)) % 1