Actually, this was first seen in the effort to port Linux to the
MC68K.

      Granted, this was a code fork (in the pre-1.0 kernel days;  I
remember
      when there was an effort to re-code the kernel to use C++...  ICK)
but
      a lot of the work done there was (eventually) folded in to prepare
for
      sparcs.

      <HUMOR LEVITY=11 MODE="pun">
      So, if I'm trying to sell a Sun system, does that qualify as a Sparc
plug?
      </HUMOR>

--------------------
John R. Campbell, Speaker to Machines (GNUrd)      {813-356|697}-5322
Adsumo ergo raptus sum
IBM Certified: IBM AIX 4.3 System Administration, System Support
http://packrat.tampa.ibmus2.ibm.com/~soupjrc/
Backup: Toby Schmeling {813-356|697}-5233

                      "Ferguson, Neale"
                      <Neale.Ferguson@Software        To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      AG-USA.com>                     cc:
                      Sent by: Linux on 390           Subject:  Re: [LINUX-390] Intel
Architecture Emulated with Linux/390?
                      Port
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      09/11/2002 01:48 PM
                      Please respond to Linux
                      on 390 Port

Most of this stuff's been addressed by those who have ported it to Sparc.
We're lucky to becoming slightly later into the game so these things have
been seen and fixed for us.