Chan,

I can see no reason why all S/390 and zSeries versions of Linux would not.
SPID and SNID are commonly used as part of the I/O device recognition
process. Typically these are used at initialization time (or device
recovery) to establish paths to a device and "enable" it. Since the s390
libraries are provided by IBM and part of the code tree and common to all
distributions, the version or distribution should make no difference. What
would make a difference would be changes to the devices and I/O
architecture.

I haven't checked the code or run CCW traces to prove this but I think I
can be certain that this is the case.

On the score of noticing a difference. I am not sure anyone would except if
they previously had the situation where the minidisk was reserved to
another guest. This is an integrity enhancement, so I would think prior to
VM63119, the SNID and SPID would be rejected but the device would be used
anyway (because I know minidisks work and have used one for ages). If there
were another user (guest), that is when the fun and games would start.

Regards, Craig

+61-2-9354-7283 tel +61-2-9354-7797 fax
Craig Vernon B.App.Sc. LL.B.
IBM Support Centre FB41
55 Coonara Ave
West Pennant Hills 2125
Sydney NSW Australia
Visit us at http://www.ibm.com/services/au/its

"You can not find a solution using the same thinking that created the
problem." - Albert Einstein

If received in error please delete and notify the sender immediately. No
other use permitted. Neither confidentiality, privilege nor copyright
waived.

                      "Chan, Emil"
                      <Emil.Chan@bankofa        To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      merica.com>               cc:
                      Sent by: Linux on         Subject:  APAR VM63119
                      390 Port
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      ST.EDU>

                      01/10/2002 07:30
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      Linux on 390 Port

Hello,

I have two questions regarding APAR VM63119.  Do all versions of Linux (for
S/390 and zSeries) use SPID and SNID?  Did anyone see any differences on
the
Linux guests after the ptf was applied to their VM systems?

Thank you

  APAR Identifier ...... VM63119      Last Changed ........ 02/09/24
  ADD PARTIAL SNID AND SPID CCW SUPPORT FOR MINIS

  ERROR DESCRIPTION:
  Partial SNID and SPID CCW support is needed in VM minidisk
  simulation so that a Linux guest can tell if a minidisk is
  reserved by another guest.

  PROBLEM SUMMARY:
  * USERS AFFECTED: All VM users running Linux guests.           *
  * PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:                                         *
  * RECOMMENDATION: APPLY PTF                                    *
  Partial Set Path Group Id (SPID) and Sense Path Group Id (SNID)
  simulation is necessary for VM minidisks so that a Linux guest
  can determine device reservation status.  Although only SNID
  support is necessary to make Linux work, SPID support is needed
  to provide a more complete solution.  Currently, without a fix,
  all SNID and SPID CCWs issued to a minidisk are command
  rejected.