Hello everyone,

I'm running a Red Hat 7.2 linux/390 network on a s390 G6 under z/VM. Just
yesterday I added a 5 gig minidisk from a mod9 to one of our images using
dirmaint. I added the new disk to zipl.conf, zipl'd, shutdown and logged
the image and brought it back up with the minidisk. I dasdfmt'd, fdasd'd
and put a ext2 filesystem on it. I then used the disk as normal, NFS
exporting it and sharing the data held on it with no problem.

However, this morning I bounced the image again and, on startup, I got the
message "bad superblock" on dasde, the new disk, and was thrown into single
user mode. After commenting out the /dev/dasde1 entry in /etc/fstab I was
able to boot fully. Attempting to fun e2fsck on the disk resulted in the
"bad superblock" message, and fdasd reported that there was no volume label
or partition on it. The disk is still fully visible on the VM level, it
just appears that the linux level formatting had disappeared entirely.

Has anyone else seen any problems similar to this? I have had this happen
once before, but I assumed it occured because I had linked the drive from
the owner to itself, eg from image lnxsa01 I issued the command "#cp link
lnxsa01 401 401 mr," so that I wouldn't need to bounce the image to pick up
the drive. I avoided that self-linking this time, but here it is again.

Michael Lambert