Dave,

I suspect that your bootloader is not handling the copy process well.  In your
original message you said that you reran zipl, but I have had problems (even on
PCs) with bootloaders getting confused about devices moving about underneath
them.  From my experience, bootloader builders work best and most predictably
when all of the disks are in the final configuration.

I suggest IPLing your installation system and using that as a rescue system.  I
think this process has been described previously, but here's a snapshot:

1) IPL installation system, break out of installation script
2) Load DASD driver to access your DASD with the *same* dasd= line as your
system will use
3) mount the filesystems (at least your boot device and the /, /sbin and /boot
directories must be accessible)
4) chroot to the root directory of your mounted system (this is not technically
necessary, but it does eliminate the need to change your zipl command line or
configuration file)
5) run zipl
6) unmount filesystems, cross fingers, re-IPL

I'm not sure why a RAMDISK system does not IPL (but then I'm not sure exactly
what you mean by RAMDISK system...).

I am making the (possibly incorrect) assumption that you have ensured that the
LPAR has only necessary devices online, and in particular no 3174s or like (as
per previous posts).

Good luck,
Vic Cross