Steve Arden wrote:

>Dumping a trace here is a bit large, but after java does a fork/execve, it
>successfully opens and reads from /lib/libc.so.6, closes it, and tries
>/usr/lib/libc.so.6 which doesn't exist, although in desperation we copied it
>there just to see what would happen. It didn't help.

Eh? There certainly should be a /usr/lib/libc.so.6 if you've configured
your new glibc as system libc (--prefix=/usr).  It should be a linker
script that points the linker to /lib/libc.so.6 and /usr/lib/libc_nonshared.a.

>Typically the execve is for
>/usr/bin/expr or /bin/ls, or something that works all time except when done by
>java.

Maybe the JDK does strange things to the library path or LD_PRELOAD?
I haven't seen this particular behaviour, but in the past there have
been several cases where the JDK was doing things that broke after
glibc upgrades ...

>Java is IBMJava2-SDK-13.s390.

I'm not all that familiar with the JDK version numbers; is this the latest
and greatest?  I know for sure that various early versions will not work
at all with glibc 2.2.5 ...

B.t.w. if all you want is the new kernel, there's actually no need
to upgrade glibc; the new kernel should work with the old glibc just
fine.  You might need new s390-tools, however.

Bye,
Ulrich

--
  Dr. Ulrich Weigand