Forwarded message from Gregg C Levine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Right John. The I8080 in its original form ran at 800Khz, then when it
>finally ran out, so to speak, they were up to about 4Mhz, but only in
>small lots. The rest of what you are writing about, you are quite
>correct.

        IIRC the 8080 usually clocked at 2MHz for most of it's life;
        The 800K number may be more of KOPS rather than clock rate
        (though even that seems high based on my recollection).

        The 8080 was a *dynamic* chip so you couldn't single-step it
        by stopping the clock.  The Z-80 used static logic so it
        could be dealt with that way-  and the Z-80s were able to
        be clocked up to 4MHz almost right away.

        (The Z-80 is not completely dead, BTW;  The Z-800 chip still
        exists, IIRC, and uses some cool tricks to handle more RAM.)

        The 8085 actually jumped past 4MHz (again, from memory, I
        once had an S-100 system w/ the CompuPro 85/88 CPU card)
        but I don't remember the final rate.  There was some odd
        stuff to the 8085 that made it's instruction set incompatible
        w/ the Z-80.

        I don't know if any folks here remember that DRI had a PL/I
        for CP/M-80-  Though I tended to use BDS C and then Aztec C.
        I even wrote a tool that'd make a tar floppy so we could pass
        files to a Xenix system.

--
 John R. Campbell           Speaker to Machines                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 - As a SysAdmin, yes, I CAN read your e-mail, but I DON'T get that bored!