On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 09:38:16AM -0500, David Boyes wrote:
> > I don't think that Red Hat is new to non-IA32 archs at all.  I'm sure
> > I'm getting my years wrong, but they did have an Alpha and Sparc port
> > throughout the late 1990s.
>
> At least until 2000, I believe. I remember talking with a customer just
> after RH discontinued the Sparc port, and the RH person in the room
> casually said if you'd buy 600 copies at full price, they'd bring it
> back.

ftp.auroralinux.org contains a real nice and stable sparc port of
Red Hat Linux 7.3. It has many sparc fixes in it as well as some important
errata rpms past the release. Should be a real nice start and in general
you can easily recompile further errata rpms released for x86.

Red Hat Linux is very modular and in general easily ported to new archs,
the question is more the demand for such ports.

greetings,

Florian La Roche