> David,  I disagree with your characterization that IBM's certified
mainframe development
> platform costs a "goodly sum a pop".  The guy asking the question is the
VP Engineering
> of Sendmail.com, and if his company produces offerings for zSeries, which
I believe they
> do, then they are eligible for a low-cost offering from IBM's Partnerworld
program.
> That program can provide the guy with a Linux-based Thinkpad (2Ghz, 60gig
drive, 1 gig
> RAM), Flex-ES, 3 years of Flex-ES maintenance, loan of  z/VM AD-CD's,
fully integrated
> and ready to IPL, all for around $13,000.

I am aware of the PID discount. I am also aware that the solution you
propose does not work well in a data center environment (ever tried to
reliably rack a Thinkpad? not easy), and that for me, the equivalent
Hercules environment (minus the ADCD CDs, which I can't license) costs me
the price of a 80 gig disk, which at the local discount outlet amounts to
about $115 plus tax, about $300 if I go super-duper Ultra160 SCSI.

If IBM were to offer a single-user hobbyist license for the ADCDs in the $2K
to 3K range, controlling the use via T&Cs, then developing for S/390 starts
to look like a reasonable proposition to Joe Average Developer -- at that
rate, it's in the ballpark of buying this week's MS Visual Whatsis per seat,
and everybody's legal and above-board. For that price, I'll buy multiple
copies of the ADCD for developers and we're set.

I have nothing against FlexES or the other environments, however $13K is not
trivial money, not everyone can or wants to meet the PID requirements, and
I've already got plenty of hardware that is rack-friendly and fully
integrated (and even has a nice blue IBM logo on it).  When pricing a sample
system from other vendors using a similar solution to the one you described
(without the benefits of the PID program), you're talking about 45-70K for a
useful rack-mounted development system. Not cheap -- at that point, we're
into the used MP3K range. So, yes, it's a "goodly sum" -- that's not
negative, it's a plain observation that it's not something available to
everyone's budget.

-- db