Hello,

I'm currently uploading a new Rawhide tree to our FTP server, the mirrors
should pick it up soon.

There are some known issues with this tree which you should be aware of.
Please read the attached README.Rawhide carefully before you try an
installation.

   Karsten Hopp

If you are looking for a released version of Red Hat Linux for mainframe,
please stay with Red Hat Linux 7.2 for S/390 at
        ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.2/en/os/s390/
or Red Hat Linux 7.1 for zSeries at
        ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.1/en/os/s390x/

This directory contains a "rawhide" release which is only intended for
developers. It might not install properly, might have a broken compiler,
an incompatibel glibc to released versions etc. Do not install this release
on a production machine!

***************
*** WARNING ***
***************
The current installer might even destroy data on your system disk if you're
not careful and the system disk is writable by this VM user.
DASD autodetection finds all accessible disks and offers to format them.
   DO NOT select 'yes' if you get this offer and are unsure if this
   is a system disk.
The DASD=xxx,yyy parameter in the .parm file is currently not supported,
but will be added at a later time. Until then there is no way to sort your
DASDs or exclude system disks.

Here some further notes for people who still want to experiment:

* The main purpose of this Rawhide release is to test the RPM packages
  and the network setup part of the installer.

* The current rpms are a real development snapshot of Red Hat Linux, they
  are not based on a stabilized or any tested set of rpms. This is only
  intended as playground for developers.

* Bugreports and patches should go to http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla.
  The more the better.

* A Red Hat mailinglist for mainframe is [EMAIL PROTECTED]

* Use 'unset DISPLAY' before starting the installer to get a text mode
  installation running. GUI mode of the current installer hasn't been tested
  and probably won't work. Even text mode might have some issues unless you
  use the FTP install method.

* The syntax of the .parm file has changed and should be much easier now.
  The options are documented in the file README.

* We still use the Red Hat Linux 7.2 kernel 2.4.9-37 for the current rawhide
  release. Installation with OCO drivers has not been tested for rawhide and
  if we change the kernel to an experimental snapshot in future uploads,
  OCO drivers might not be available at all.

* This rawhide version uses
  - gcc 3.2.1-1
  - glibc 2.3.1-6
  - binutils 2.13.90.0.16-3

* The normal path of this rawhide release is
  ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/rawhide/s390

--
 Karsten Hopp        | Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Red Hat Deutschland | Tel: +49-711-96437-0