Just so I can wave a  'see, these people say it needs to be done this way'
paper at my head sysprog....

I assume to use CDL and back up linux volumes with DFDSS 1) the volumes
need to be 'avaiable' to the OS/390 image doing the backup, and that 2)
Linux needs to be quiesced and halted in order to get a good backup of the
devices?

Lastly, has anoyne gotten Open SSH to work for OS/390? I'd like to use it
to have automation be able to logon to Linux etc, and do stuff but I want
encrypted shell. I've not been able to get the one S/390 port to  work as
we don't have the IBM C compiler. Has anyone ported GCC to  the Unix side
of  OS/390 (Z/OS)? If so can the open SSH be made to work?

Thanks. Have a happy monday.

|         |           Rob van der Heij |
|         |           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> |
|         |           Sent by: Linux on|
|         |           390 Port         |
|         |           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|         |           IST.EDU>         |
|         |           12/13/2002 01:45 |
|         |           Linux on 390 Port|

At 15:42 13-12-02, McKown, John wrote:

>I know that I should "use the code, Luke", but I'm not that familiar with
>the kernel et al. Does Linux/390 take advantage of any of the VM
facilities
>when running under VM vs. in an LPAR? I'm thinking especially of the
>"handshaking" that is possible with paging. I.e. Linux thinks the page is
in
>memory, but VM has it paged out. I think this is done with VSE and I
>remember it back in the OS/VS1 days as well. What about other VM-only
>facilities?

Yes, pseudo page fault support is there already. When a process gets
blocked because the particular page is paged out by VM, the kernel gets a
chance to run another process. Recent changes to z/VM improved the PFAULT
support. I have not seen numbers about how effective this is for Linux, but
it is enabled by default when you run in a virtual machine.
In fact, virtual memory itself as provided by z/VM is already a benefit
over LPAR since it allows the Linux guests to breathe.

The other thing is the shared kernel support that has been there for some
time now. This allows you to put some 2MB of the kernel in shared pages and
thus reduce the footprint of your penguins.

And the dasd driver can use Diagnose I/O instead of SSCH and exploit MDC
and other z/VM benefits. There have been some problems with that part of
the driver in the past, but it looks like the current code works.

Rob