We run VM/Linux on an IFL and Tivoli under OS/390 here.  Coming from an
OS/390 DR background I've got to say recovery is relatively straight
forward.

1) I make IPLable VM tapes (RES packs and such) on a weekly basis, so
bringing up the base system is a snap.  There is also a tape with an
IPLable version of ICKDSF on it to use for formatting.
2) Before turning over an image to a customer I always make an initial DDR
backup of the image minidisks so that I have a bootable, network attachable
Linux guest available.
3) I also have minidisk backups of the Linux routers and internal DNS
server we use for our G-LAN based network.  They're small and fairly static
so we have an internal network up very quickly.
3) Once theTivoli server is up (OS/390)  I restore the image to the point
of disaster via CTC.

Then the only other piece left is for the LAN team to configure the PIX
that sits in front of the OSA  attached to the Linux maser router and
connect us to the outside world.  (At least until I convince my boss that a
Linux guest machine can handle the NATing.)

I think VM and Tivoli make the job of restoring our  Linux environment
easy, but I'm sure that the same could be pulled off using native Linux
backups.  One day I'm going to test the validity of the Tivoli Backup Set
concept, wherein you can supposedly restore an image directly from tape --
sans TSM server.

Matt Lashley
Systems Programmer
State of Idaho

                      James Melin
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      epin.mn.us>               cc:
                      Sent by: Linux on         Subject:  OS/390, Linux and Disaster
Recovery
                      390 Port
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      ST.EDU>

                      12/17/2002 08:25
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      Linux on 390 Port

What, if anything, have people done for disaster recover with Linux?  How
do you restore Linux volumes at a disaster site? How evil is it?