At 17:56 18-12-02 -0500, Dave Myers wrote:

I was wondering if the RAM system has the proper qdio qeth drivers for
guestlan??
Yes, it does not ;-)
The anonymous beta trial (or whatever SuSE defined it) is from Oct 31, 2001
as far as I know. That one does support Hipersockets and has the 'Option 8'
in the installer but AFAIK it did not work with z/VM Guest LAN. My notes
say qeth-2.4.7-s390-8.o was the first that worked with Guest LAN (and we
also needed VM maintenance for that) and that is from Feb 28, 2002.

I believe that when you ordered an evaluation copy from SuSE after May 20th
or so, then you should have received a CD that has an updated initrd and
default kernel. This version also offers the kernel with 'on demand timer'
patch enabled. And if I am wrong that is because it is not on the public
pages and I cannot tell what SuSE send others.

So the old version has two problems w.r.t. Guest LAN:
1. The starter system fails to establish a connection through Guest LAN
2. The kernel you install with the starter system cannot use Guest LAN

If you really want to make this work with the public beta, then you could
open up the initrd from suse/images and put fresh OCO modules in. After you
used it to install the supplied default kernel, you mount the disks again
and copy the qdio and qeth from your ramdisk system onto the installed
system. You'll also need the -f option on insmod.

Rob