It goes something like this....

We are testing SUSE Linux S390 7.1 with the 2.4.7 kernel.  We have it
installed directly in an LPAR.  We will install under Z/VM at a later date
after we get a "proof of concept" application up and running under
Websphere.
We have an escon attached Cisco 7200 which is already shared by 3 OS390
Lpars on our 7060-H30 (Multiprise 3000).  It's defined in our IOCDS as a
3172, but this works on our OS/390 LPARs.   We had tried it as an "SCTC" but
couldn't get it to work with OS/390.  How has anyone defined your devices to
the IOCDS?
We are using the Packed driver from UTS. It's the only one that we could
find that you could install without recompiling the Kernel (or that's what
we thought).
Our experience level is high with OS390 and mainframes, but is only at PC
level when it comes to Linux. No prior Linux 390 experience.

When we install we get:
# insmod -f c7000p base0=0x01f6 lhost0=LINUX1 uhost0=CIPL1 lappl0=PACKED
uappl0=PACKED
Using /lib/modules/kernel/drivers/s390/net/c7000p.o
Warning: kernel-module version mismatch
        /lib/modules/kernel/drivers/s390/net/c7000p.o was compiled for
kernel version 2.4.7RBH-tape-c7000-1-SMP
        while this kernel is version 2.4.7-SuSE-SMP
# lsmod
Module                Size    Used by
c7000p             31072    0    (unused)

Notes:
1) we had to use -f to force the driver. We informed UTS, but they said that
this was okay, that we did indeed have the correct driver.
2) when we load the driver we get these messages in the logs:
linux1 kernel: c7000p: c7000p_init: base unit 0x1f6 is not the right type
linux1 kernel: c7000p: init_module: error -5 registering base unit 0x1f6
linux1 kernel: c7000p: init_module: module loaded

It seems that although we have the addresses (01f6 and 01f7) available to
the Linux LPAR, that Linux either can't get to them or they are returning
the wrong sense information.

# cat /proc/net/cista
Global Parms: wr_delay=2, buffsize=8192, nbuffs=40, noauto=0

 # ifconfig ci0
ci0: error fetching interface information: Device not found

We don't know how to verify that the particular addresses are accessible and
what device type is present. They do not appear to be auto detected.

thank you very kindly for any reply,

tom/gary/darcy
3 MVS dinosaurs
Sydney, Aus.

(P.S. for Mark Post - I've been having trouble sending email to your address
for some reason but see you posting regularly.  I figure this message is
probably best served to the entire community anyway)