David,
At  the most recent zLinux Council held on December 13th the issue was
brought up about supporting these software
items on some  basis other than vendor distribution.  One suggestion was
to use the LSB as a standard and supporting
the major middleware components on this. IBM seemed receptive especially
when mulitple customers chimed in agreement with
the suggestion.

I suspect more will be heard, especially if the customers (not the
vendors) push the point.

This of course started a conversation about LSB on the z/Linux platform
and where it stands, but that has already been
discussed on the list.

Phil

David Boyes wrote:

I promised an update on the discussions with IBM's software group wrt to
getting their middleware "officially" OKed for use on Debian for 390.

At this point, the discussions have not moved very far.  After several
meetings, the IBM position is that they do not see a business case for
supporting the major IBM middleware (WAS, DB/2, etc) on any
distributions other than Red Hat or SuSE. There are several technical
obstacles in the way, starting with that they indicated that they have
set a prerequisite of a completely RPM-based distribution for
considering official support. When presented with the capability to
handle RPM-based packages with Debian, they indicated that while
technically possible it did not meet their requirements. When pressed
for a list of technical requirements, the discussion halted at the "if
it's not based on RPM, it's not really worth discussing any further"
point.

In all fairness to IBM, I can see their point -- software testing is
expensive and time-consuming --  but it is somewhat disappointing to
encounter this as CA, BEA, and Oracle have all been considerably more
flexible and cooperative. We'll continue discussing it after the
holidays, but I don't see a lot of motion happening at this point, even
given the substantial advantage that a lower cost entry point would
provide them. I'd be interested in talking to anyone who has turned down
a Linux/390-based solution using the IBM middleware products due to
implementation costs -- it would greatly help in discussing the business
case with IBM to address the entry cost issue. No names will be named
(unless you give permission) but other voices are always
appreciated...8-)

On the positive side, it appears that the most recent try-n-buy and
complete packages for WAS, etc continue to install and work without
problems using alien...8-)

More as it develops.

-- db

David Boyes