On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 04:18:39PM +1100, BAKER, Craig wrote:
> Greetings,
> We have just added a Shark DASD subsystem to our z800 and we now want to move our
>ThinkBlue64 Linux System to it from our existing DASD. The approach that I took was
>to backup the filesystem using tar then restore it to the new DASD. Then I updated
>zipl.conf on the new DASD and ran zipl against it.
> When I boot from the new DASD it gets past recognising  the new DASD and mounts the
>root filesystem then I get "Kernel Panic: unable to load init try passing init= to
>the kernel."

"rsync -avx --delete / /new_dasd" might also be a good way to copy
things. This copy stops at mount point boundaries.

> So what else do I need to do to make this work?

To copy a root partition you might have to edit /etc/fstab and
/etc/zipl.conf in the new system. I suspect you are not using
an initrd to boot, that could also need to be modified.

greetings,

Florian La Roche