Brian,

I'll pass on this feedback from Vic Cross from a question I posted in
December:
+++
Dave, if your z/VM is 4.3 and you are using the so-called QDIO Guest LAN
(DEFINE LAN xxx QDIO), you will define your connection to the LAN as if it
was an OSA-Express.  If your using z/VM 4.2, or you have defined a
HiperSockets Guest LAN on z/VM 4.3 (DEFINE LAN xxx HIPER), the option you
will use is the one James mentioned.

Regardless, the installation system contains the required drivers.  It is
when installing Red Hat that special action needs to be taken to include
the qeth.o driver.
+++ (end of VC's comments)

I think for this to work, you'd have to configure VM's MPROUTE ahead
of time to provide the proper routing to whatever lan subnet you'll be
running the putty/yast portion of the install from??  Is that true route
gurus out there?

If you're using OSA you could also share the OSA port between VM and the
linux ram system.
I did this with OSA/EXPRESS today for an SLES8 install under zVM 4.3 and it
came up fine.
Just use 3 other device numbers for the OSA and same portname as the one
defined in VM's IP stack.

Feel free to email me if you run into quirks with the SLES8 install.
The SLES8 doc didn't exactly match the process :o)
Make sure to read the readme file on CD1.

Dave Myers
Denver Solutions Group
Senior Systems Engineer
Office Phone:   (303) 996-7112
Cellular Phone: (303) 619-0782
Fax:                  (303) 706.1713
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    "Jones, Brian P"

                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]       To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    ORTEK.COM>                   cc:

                    Sent by: Linux on 390        Subject:     Hipersockets SLES8

                    Port

                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    01/15/2003 04:20 PM

                    Please respond to