/etc/printcap is still required, regardless of where your starting the daemon
from, since it defines the queue and some other printer particulars.

If the daemon is being launched from INETD it will not take a process until it
gets a request, ps may not show an active printer process unless your lucky
enough to catch it while printing a job. Try netstat -tul , it should show a
listening port for printer (port 515 tcp and udp).