Just wanted to report back to the group,
that IBM discovered the problem with my z/OS vnic problem.

I had zVM parameter  RMCHINFO coded in the z/OS guest (user directory
entry).
Once I removed this,  I was able to VARY the IQD devices ONLINE
to z/OS and  my VNIC for z/OS on a TYPE=HIPER guestlan
worked just fine (per the setup instructions in the ZSeries Hipersockets
redbook).

FYI
Dave Myers
Denver Solutions Group
Senior Systems Engineer
Office Phone:   (303) 996-7112
Cellular Phone: (303) 619-0782
Home Office:    (303) 948-0027
Fax:                  (303) 706.1713
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    Dennis

                    Musselwhite           To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]       cc:

                    m.com>                Subject:     Re: Need help figuring out why
my zOS1.4 VNIC won't come active on         GUESTLAN
                    Sent by: Linux         TYPE=HIPERS

                    on 390 Port

                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    ARIST.EDU>

                    02/07/2003

                    01:35 PM

                    Please respond

                    to Linux on 390

                    Port

Hi Dave,

Reading your note again, I realize that I missed your question:
>The comment above "If the CHPID was assigned properly"  makes me wonder...
>do I have to do any DEFINE for CHPID/PATH/DEVICE  on zVM
>before I DEFINE NIC AND COUPLE.

No.  I meant the CHPID assignment that should be done by CP DEFINE NIC in
the
z/OS guest virtual machine.  If the CHPID 03 had been omitted from the
DEFINE NIC
command you would have found some other CHPID assigned in the DISPLAY SCHIB
response.  If CHPID 03 had been specified, but was already in use for
another
device in your z/OS guest virtual machine, the DEFINE NIC command would
have
failed.  I don't think the DEFINE NIC failed because your QUERY LAN
response
indicates that the guest is coupled.

Regards,
Dennis Musselwhite ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
IBM z/VM Development -- CP Network Simulation