Mark,

I guess you're right about getting support if Linux goes into production.  Like I said
in another post today, I'm new to Linux and learning.  I may say I will do one thing,
and an hour later change my mind.  This list is really helping me.

My last question was very poorly worded.  I meant to ask are current fixes and updates
available from the RedHat web site for download, and current versions of Linux.

Eric

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 02/21/03 08:37AM >>>
Eric,

Are you seriously considering (eventually) putting Linux/390 into production
without a support contract in place?  I personally would never do that, nor
would I ever recommend anyone else do that.  If all you want to do is
evaluate, test, and perhaps set up a pilot, then you can get a copy of SuSE,
direct from SuSE, for that purpose, for 0$.  If you want maintenance during
the trial, then it's $500 (at last report).  You can also download Red Hat,
or Debian, or whatever.  (I've been working on porting Slackware to S/390,
just for grins.)

Once you decide to go into production, though, I imagine your management
will want to know you've got support lined up, and that's going to cost you
money, no matter which distribution you've selected.  Even if it's Debian.
Sure, the Debian community is very good at supporting the distribution, but
is your management going to rely on that for a production installation?
There are people/companies that provide commercial support for Debian, and
they like to get paid for that.  :)

English-speaking people often get confused about the term" free software,"
hence the phrase that's sprung up around it: "Free as in freedom, not free
beer."  If you want to keep having Linux and Linux/390 available, the
companies that provide it need to stay in business somehow.  Pick the one
you like best, for what ever reasons you use, and pay them something for
their work.

Mark Post

P.S., I didn't understand the question about getting Red Hat support without
buying support.  It seemed kind of contradictory.