On Tuesday, 02/25/2003 at 10:50ZE12, Vic Cross <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Alan Altmark wrote:
>
> > You will never be able to ping from your PC to linux03.  Your config
files
> > describe a network that looks like:
> >                       .------.
> >                       |router|
> > ---192.168.1 / 24 ----|      |=== 192.168.1.120 === LINUX03
> >                       | (VM) |
> >                       '......'
> > The problem is that the machines on the 192.168.1 subnet think that
>
> Which 192.168.1 subnet? ;-)

Don't be a wise guy!  :-)  Since the mask is /24, the trailing zero isn't
required, and make it more obvious that we are talking about a /24.

> > LINUX03 is on the same LAN segment.  How do they know that LINUX03 is
> > "behind"  192.168.1.50?  Unless you are going to explicitly tell those
> > machines that .120 is routed through .50, all attempts by those
machines
> > to find (via ARP) .120 will fail.
>
> I suspect that it's not even getting that far.  When LINUX03 tries to
ping
> VM, VM will be trying to send the ICMP replies out the OSA, instead of
> the HiperSockets.

Host routes have priority over subnet routes.  Without the output from
NETSTAT GATE, we have no idea if there were errrors and if the host route
was established.

> > If you used a point-to-point link (IUCV, virtual CTC), then VM TCP/IP
> > could perform Proxy ARP functions to help you, but using a Guest LAN
> > prevents that.
>
> Ok, didn't realise that...  So Proxy ARP is not usable at all in this
> configuration?  Even to hide another network behind VM TCP/IP?  Forget
> about Proxy ARP a bit longer, then... ;-)

Proxy ARP can hide hosts.  It cannot hide a network.  Ever since Proxy ARP
support went in, I've been preaching that it was a quick fix for a problem
that would eventually require a network routing solution.  Enter, stage
right, Guest LANs.  Now you have to pay up!  :-)  Procrastinating doesn't
help...my wife is right....

Alan Altmark
Sr. Software Engineer
 IBM z/VM Development