Yes, you should be able to ping Linux from the peer at the other end of the
CTC connection.

If you can ping from the peer (os/390) to your linux system, and you can
ping from the world to os/390, then you have a routing problem.

I set my CTC connections to OS/390 up like this:

world --> 10.5.7.102 (OSA) , OS/390, (CTC) 192.168.23.105 <==> 10.5.23.105
(CTC) ,Linux
Where the linux system is on an entirely different subnet than OS/390, and
OS/390 acts as a router into that subnet.
Note that I have each end of the CTC in different subnets also, I dont know
if this is still required, but it used to be.
The netmask for each end of the CTC is 255.255.255.255, it's a point to
point connection.

Jay Brenneman

                      Kyle Stewart
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      et>                      cc:
                      Sent by: Linux on        Subject:  Re: URGENT - RH 7.1 (64-bit)
LPAR Install CTC Problems
                      390 Port
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      IST.EDU>

                      02/25/2003 03:13
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      Linux on 390 Port

Shouldn't I be able to ping the initrd ipl'ed version of Linux via the CTC
from the partner?  I have tried configuring this with an OSA card in
passthru mode.  Everything (as far as I know) looks good, but we can't
ping,
telnet nor ssh to the Linux image.  There must be something more basic that
I am missing here.

Regards,
Kyle Stewart