Hello,

I have an LVM configuration on SuSE Linux for S390 (2.2.16) consisting of:

20 - Logical Volumes
16 - Volume Groups
59 - Physical volumes

I tried adding about 50 more volumes to the configuration.  This obviously
forced me into another dasd major number.  I did "mknod" commands adding
major/minor numbers 254/0 - 254/252 for /dev/dasdbm-/dev/dasddx (as well as
/dev/dasdbm1-/dev/dasddx1 for partitions).

At boot time, when vgscan ran, it appeared to scan the devices in such a way
that caused the original, low numbered devices, to be skipped.  It's almost
as if it began scanning the new, higher numbered devices, first and stopped
before it got to the devices containing existing LVM metadata.  I had to
remove the new devices from the configuration to get my production LVM
configuration back.

Is there some limitation I am bumping up against?  I seem to be well within
the published limits for VGs/LVs/PVs.

Thanks in advance,

Hank Calzaretta
Wallace Computer Services, Inc.