Rich Smrcina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I could swear this came up recently, but of course I can find no reference to
> it.  What are the file and file system size limitations for the 2.4 kernel?
> Do dofferent levels of the 2.4 kernel change this?  Does any of this change
> based on the type of file system used (ext2, ext3, reiser)?
from http://www.suse.de/~aj/linux_lfs.html:

|Background LFS in Linux Background                                           |
|   Large File Support in Linux                                               |
...[extensive information for Kernels back to 2.2 and glibc back to
    2.1 and for all filesystems and many distributions]

|   Some Other Often Requested Data about Filesystems                         |
|   Maximum On-Disk Sizes of the Filesystems                                  |
|   +---------------------------------------------------------------------+   |
|   |                Filesystem                | File Size  | Filesystem  |   |
|   |                                          |   Limit    | Size Limit  |   |
|   |------------------------------------------+------------+-------------|   |
|   |ext2 with 1 KiB blocksize                 |16448 MiB (~|2048 GiB (= 2|   |
|   |                                          |16 GiB)     |TiB)         |   |
|   |------------------------------------------+------------+-------------|   |
|   |ext2 with 2 KiB blocksize                 |256 GiB     |8192 GiB (= 8|   |
|   |                                          |            |TiB)         |   |
|   |------------------------------------------+------------+-------------|   |
|   |ext2 with 4 KiB blocksize                 |2048 GiB (= |16384 GiB (= |   |
|   |                                          |2 TiB)      |16 TiB)      |   |
|   |------------------------------------------+------------+-------------|   |
|   |ext2 with 8 KiB blocksize (Systems with 8 |65568 GiB (~|32768 GiB (= |   |
|   |KiB pages like Alpha only)                |64 TiB)     |32 TiB)      |   |
|   |------------------------------------------+------------+-------------|   |
|   |ReiserFS 3.5                              |4 GiB       |16384 GiB (= |   |
|   |                                          |            |16 TiB)      |   |
|   |------------------------------------------+------------+-------------|   |
|   |ReiserFS 3.6 (as in Linux 2.4)            |1 EiB       |16384 GiB (= |   |
|   |                                          |            |16 TiB)      |   |
|   |------------------------------------------+------------+-------------|   |
|   |XFS                                       |8 EiB       |8 EiB        |   |
|   |------------------------------------------+------------+-------------|   |
|   |JFS with 512 Bytes blocksize              |8 EiB       |512 TiB      |   |
|   |------------------------------------------+------------+-------------|   |
|   |JFS with 4KiB blocksize                   |8 EiB       |4 PiB        |   |
|   |------------------------------------------+------------+-------------|   |
|   |NFSv2 (client side)                       |2 GiB       |8 EiB        |   |
|   |------------------------------------------+------------+-------------|   |
|   |NFSv3 (client side)                       |8 EiB       |8 EiB        |   |
|   +---------------------------------------------------------------------+   |
|   Note Kernel Limitations: The table above describes limitations of the     |
|   on-disk format. The following kernel limits exist:                        |
|     * On 32-bit systems with Kernel 2.4.x: The size of a file and a block   |
|       device is limited to 2 TiB. By using LVM several block devices can    |
|       be combined enabling the handling of larger file systems.             |
|     * 32-bit systems starting with around 2.5.43: The size of a file is     |
|       limited to 2 TiB. Note that the system call statfs64 does not give    |
|       the correct information back for file systems using more than 2 TiB   |
|       (df will display wrong results).                                      |
|     * 64-bit systems: The sizes of a filesytem and of a file are limited    |
|       by 263 (8 EiB). But there might be hardware driver limits that do     |
|       not allow to access such large devices.                               |
|   Note in the above: 1024 Bytes = 1 KiB; 1024 KiB = 1 MiB; 1024 MiB = 1     |
|   GiB; 1024 GiB = 1 TiB; 1024 TiB = 1 PiB; 1024 PiB = 1 EiB (check http:/   |
|   /physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html)                                  |
|   Maximum Number of Partitions                                              |
|   An IDE disk has 64 minors, one is used for the full disk and therefore    |
|   63 partitions are possible. A SCSI disk has 16 minors and therefore       |
|   only 15 partitions maximal.                                               |
|   Thanks to Andi Kleen, Matti Aarnio, Rogier Wolff, Chris Mason, Andreas    |
|   Schwab, Lenz Grimmer, Andries Brouwer, Urban Widmark, Bruce Allen and     |
|   Jana Jaeger for additions to and comments on the contents of this page.   |

|   Andreas Jaeger                                                            |
|   Last modified: Mon Jan 27 11:54:01 CET 2003                               |
|Background LFS in Linux Background                                           |

hth
--
Susanne Oberhauser     penguins         SuSE Linux AG
+49-911-74053-574        enjoy          Deutschherrnstr. 15-19