Why not implement this somewhat like lilo does this.  One could simply put
out a prompt on the hmc, and if no response is given within a certain amount
of time then simply continue (as lilo does).

Jan Jaeger

From: "Lucius, Leland" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Suggestions on how to implement LOADPARM
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 14:45:31 -0600

> I guess what you should do is support a number of IPL
> sections identified
> by something of 4 bytes, say a number of 'slots' in the IPL
> record. Either
> learn zipl how to put things in these slots, or use a
> separate userspace
> program that can copy the first entry (written by zipl) to
> one of the others.
> And you probably could have different slots point to the same
> image but use
> different command line.

This is almost exactly what I had in mind.  But, I couldn't decide how much
of the LOADPARM field to use.  We could even get down to 2 characters since
the bootmap is currently limited to 256 entries.  That would mean we could
store a maximum of 128 different configs.

That might be too short though as it wouldn't be easy to remember.  Then I
thought, use the full 8 characters of the zipl.conf section name, but that
seemd like a waste.  So, you're suggestion of 4 might very well be a good
middle of the road.

A new value would have to be added to zipl.conf so the user could specify a
"LABEL" that would be used for the LOADPARM.

Another thing I couldn't decide on was what should happen if someone
entered
a LOADPARM that wasn't valid.  Disabled wait or use whatever was coded in
the "defaultboot" section?  The latter could be very dangerous...

Leland

MSN Zoeken, voor duidelijke zoekresultaten! http://search.msn.nl