On Monday, 03/10/2003 at 10:16 EST, David Boyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> OK, I'm  confused now. I agree on the CPU types, but wasn't z/OS.e
> supposed to be runnable on IFLs? Or is it just licensing magic to keep
> the cost of z/OS based products from eating any prayer of a TCO
> improvement?

Remember, IFLs are for Linux.  To quote from the IBM Sales Manual, "z/OS.e
is a specially priced offering of z/OS that provides select
function at an attractive price.... Priced competitively, z/OS.e runs
exclusively on the new midrange zSeries
2066 [z800] processor."

If all you need is OE kinds of apps (WAS, Domino, etc. - No CICS) with the
strengths z/OS brings, then z/OS.e is for you.

Alan Altmark
Sr. Software Engineer
 IBM z/VM Development