Actually, a third choice proved to be backreving Postfix to postfix-1.1.7-6.src.rpm
which allowed a rebuild requiring more of the standard RPMs from the MCS mirror site
for this distribution. I guess it would be safe to say that progress on s390 will tend
to lag that of i386.

Now it appears that I have my hostname specified incorrectly. the rebuilt postfix rpm
needs it to be a FQDN like cofr3.linuxvm.gov .  Perhaps one of you would be kind
enough to direct me as to how a change like this could be made?

Thank you in advance for your time.

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 03:58:06PM -0500, Kenneth Illingsworth wrote:
> The last package that I needed to install Postfix onto a RH v7.2 i
> virtual s390 machine was something called 'alternatives'. I was unable
> to find anything on my favorite MCS mirror, and likewise was unable to
> find any s390 RPMs. I did managed to find a src.rpm for 'alternatives',
> and performed an RPM --Rebuild on it without any apparent incident
> after which it appeared to install nicely. However, when I tried to
> install Postfix once again, it failed because it still needed
> /usr/sbin/alternatives.
>
> I did notice that the rebuild of 'alternatives' produced a noarch.rpm
> file rather than the expected s390.rpm file. The rebuild on the db4
> src.rpm file produced a corresponding s390.rpm file which installed
> very nicely and paved the way for an equally  successful rebuild of
> the Postfix src.rpm file. So, I suspect that I have an issue with the
> 'alternatives' src.rpm file. And this is where I bacame stuck. I
> cannot seem to locate any other 'alternatives' src.rpm file.

The "alternatives" mechanisms was invented by debian and adopted by
Mandrake (do you use their packages? Or is it a later version or RH?)

It is aimed at solving file-conflicts between packages. For example:
both sendmail and postfix have /usr/sbin/sendmail . And each has its
sendmail(8) man page in /usr/share/man/man8/sendmail.8.bz2 (IIRC)
This means that you can't have both sendmail and postfix installed on
the same system at the same time. Even though they don't conflict most
of the stuff (actually they have some other file conflicts).

So /usr/sbin/sendmail becomes a symlink to /etc/alternatives/sendmail .
The alternatives program allows several candidates to register
themselves for it (e.g: /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix) . There are actually
"groups" of such links, because if you want postfix's sendmail to be
/usr/sbin/sendmail you probably want its man page as well.

So the way I see it you have two options:

1. drag the alternatives package in. Hope that it doesn't depend on two
   much. IIRC Mandrake (at least in earlier versions) had the
   alternatives as part of the package rpm (yuck!).

2. You probably don't need such alternatives for your specific site, so:
   remove any trace to alternatives from the package. Maybe you simply
   need to add a number of symlinks to the %install scripts and slash
   some lines from the %post and %preun scripts.

--
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]