On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, Richards.Bob wrote:

> David,
>
> I seem to recall doing this with VM XA/SF running a MVS/XA guest about 16
> years ago. I thought it was the neatest thing since sliced bread!

Back in the 1970s, I decided I'd like my own Personal S370/168 for a few
hours, so I dropped into the local computer centre and made some
enquiries.

We agreed on 10:00 pm.

A few minutes after 10:00, I was saying thinks like
v 148,offline
v stor(xx),offline

or whatever, it was a while ago.

The result, I had my own 168, a meg or two of RAM, a 3330 and a 3270 and
the master console. Occasionally, I also had a 3211 - it was on a
hardware switch.

After a few hours of VS1 fun, I gave it back to the next shift and
showed them how to put it together again. Their system ran through it
all.

True, it wouldn't have helped keep IMS up while we patched it, but it
was fun.

For Q&D maintenace, there was corezap. I don't recall much we did with
it, maybe zap a UCB or somesuch.

--

Cheers
John.