Greetings;

You probably have devfs enabled in your kernel. I think
that is the default in 2.4.19 and probably earlier too.

You can either rebuild your kernel and disable/turn off
devfs or change your parmfile in /boot to something like

    root=/dev/dasd/0100/part1 ro noinitrd dasd=0100-010f,200-20f,300-30f

and rerun zipl. You will also have to change any dev addresses
in your fstab etc. that are the old /dev/dasda1 notation.

It is a bit of a pain to make the conversion, but I personally
like the devfs notation better.

Good Luck!
Dennis

                    Alex Leyva
                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]       To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                    df.gob.mx>              cc:
                    Sent by: Linux on       Subject:     Re: Problem IPLing new 2.4.19
kernel
                    390 Port
                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                    IST.EDU>

                    03/19/2003 09:39
                    AM
                    Please respond to
                    Linux on 390 Port

I has the same problem, in my case its because the 2.4.19 kernel doesnt
use the devices at /dev/dasdxxx, instead i have /dev/dasd/xxxx/, where
xxxx is the address of the device, into the directory i have:

# ls /dev/dasd/0200/
device  disc  part1

"Device Drivers and Installation Commands" have more info about this.

--
Alejandro Leyva Rabinovich.
Jefe de la Unidad Departamental de Soporte Ticnico