> Since we all know telnet is horrible in this day and age, why isn't it
> dropped entirely?
> them find another way.  Shouldn't we just end the debate and
> get rid of it?

I'd love this if it were possible.

However, I work daily with workstations that have virtually every operating system in
common use.  Windows, Mac and Linux, a total of five different operating
system/versions.

For -EACH- operating system, I have to have terminal emulators that will emulate VT220
Telnet, VT220 SSH and TN3270 (3279M3G) as well as FTP and SCP clients as well.
Furthermore, to use with a Linux/390 server you'll want both line-mode and
KDE/Gnome/X-windows versions.  Not all O/S's have vendors that are forthcoming with
such an array of clients.  There is usually a separate client for each of these
functions.

And if you have such a client that works on one release of an O/S, there is no
guarantee that it will work with another release or version.  I have stuff that works
on Windows 2000 that doesn't work on Windows 98.  Nothing that works on Mac OS9 works
on Mac OSX, and vice-versa.  and of course, anything that works on Linux doesn't work
on anything else.

And even if you have such a client on your workstation, that doesn't mean that it will
be compatible with all servers. Sometimes from Windows 2000 I use Hummingbird and
sometimes Rhumba, depending on where I'm going to. Mac OS9 has a great program called
TCPConnect (Out of business but it still works) that does TN3270, Telnet, FTP and SSH
but not x-windows.

If someone could just write a really great universal client terminal emulator that
would do all this stuff and cross-compile it to all five of these platforms, I think
they'd make a fortune.  I know I'd buy about seven copies just for my own use.

They say there are three signs of stress in your life.  You eat too much junk food,
you drive too fast and you veg out in front of the TV.  Who are they kidding?  That
sounds like a perfect day to me!
Gordon Wolfe, Ph.D. (425)865-5940
VM & Linux Servers and Storage, The Boeing Company