From: Robert J Brenneman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2003 1:22 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Upgrading QDIO, QETH on SuSE Linux 2.4.7 SMP

rpm -qi k_timer will show you the info page for your installed k_timer
kernel.

rpm -qpi k_timer-20020708.rpm will show you the info page for the rpm
you're trying to install.

If the release numbers and build dates match, then you have the right
kernel installed.

You may want to install it anyway to make sure you got all the pieces when
you installed it last time. It it's giving you trouble rpm -ivh --force
k_timer<mumble>.rpm  will force it on.

Go ahead and get the newest kernel, it can only be better, right? :)
(actually I think this one fixes some DASD recovery issues also... a good
thing)

Jay Brenneman

Linux Test and Integration Center

T/L:       295 - 7745
Extern: 845 - 435 - 7745
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      Alan Schilla
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      te.mn.us>                cc:
                      Sent by: Linux on        Subject:  Re: Upgrading QDIO,
QETH on SuSE Linux 2.4.7 SMP
                      390 Port
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      IST.EDU>

                      03/10/2003 01:12
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      Linux on 390 Port

Thanks Jay, I think we will go with the 0301. I have been trying to install
the k_timer-20020708.rpm and I get
k_timer-2.4.7-24 is already installed from rpm package manager. How can I
check if this is truely the kernel image I am running, and if I am already
working with this version of k_timer, how do I get qeth to load? Should I
wait until zVM is upgraded? I also see that SuSE has just released a new
patches to k_timer. They do not appear to effect qdio, qeth other than
possibly the OSA broadcast patch but should I just get this new k_timer.rpm
applied and see if that resolves my problem?
Thanks,
Al