If I understand your question, yes, it's the standard "top" command that
normally you run interactively,

the various switches are

-c = complete command line instead of just command name.
-C = Individual CPU States and Summary CPU info
-b = batch mode (So I can dump it to a file)
-n1 = Iterations (1)
-d1 = delay (needs to be something even though I am only doing 1 iteration)

So the desired effect is to have cron wake up every 5 min and dumps a
snapshot of the system to a file.
I added the line:
export COLUMNS=128

to the script just before the top execution.  To be sure it was taking
affect I added:
echo $COLUMNS

just after the top line, and it did get set to 128, yet the output file is
still truncated at 80 columns.

Thanks though...

-----------------------------------
Jeremy Warren
Sr. Systems Programmer
KB Toy Stores
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]@kbtoys.com

|         |           Tzafrir Cohen    |
|         |           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|         |           .ac.il>          |
|         |           Sent by: Linux on|
|         |           390 Port         |
|         |           <[EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|         |           IST.EDU>         |
|         |           03/25/2003 03:40 |
|         |           Linux on 390 Port|

On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 04:15:11PM -0500, Jeremy Warren wrote:
> I have a script which outputs top data periodically to a file using
stdout

> top -c -C -b -d1 -n1 >> /kb/data/top/topout.$sname.txt

What is this command, BTW? not the standard top from procps, right?

> When I run this by hand, the data in the topout file has the complete
path
> to the running processes.
> When I run it via cron, everything gets truncated at 80 chars.  I know
this
> is probably some session environment variable but I can't seem to come up
> with the right answer in my googling...

COLUMNS ?

--
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]       +---------------------------+