On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Froberg, David C wrote:

>                 Folks,
>
>                 If I copy (say, via  (cd / ; tar -clpSf - . ) | tar -xpSf -
> -C /mnt) a whole bootable Linux volume to a new volume mounted to /mnt,
>                 then chroot to /mnt, then upgrade a package (say samba) with
> rpm, would that keep rpm's updates to within the directory structure
>                 under /mnt so the *new* volume would have the new samba and
> the samba under / left unchanged?
>
>                 Essentially, I'm thinking along the lines of what is often
> done in the OS/390 realm where a resvol is cloned and maintenance applied to
> the clone leaving the original intact.

The idea is sound. Note:

Be sure you replicate the _entire_ system
dd  may be faster than tar | tar. Depends on how much data.

Some S/390 storage systems can have their own means of replicating
volumes. That is likely to be faster.

You might prefer to run rpm thus:
rpm --root /mnt ...

Probably doesn't matter in this case, but this approach doesn't require
rpm to be installed on the target.

--

Cheers
John.