It takes somewhere between 1 and 4 900 MHz SPARC III to do the work of a
z900T (around 900 MHz) engine, DEPENDING on the workload.  This is at equal
utilization on both machines.  Use 1.5 to 2 if you don't know what the
workload is.
 We use the following rules for utilization:
Benchmark 100%
Head to Head Production (Single Boxes) 60%
Other machine duplexed for availability 40%
Hot Backup for other machine 30%
Production Server Consolidation 25%
Server Consolidation with Test, QA, etc. 15%
ISV 10%

So a server consolidation case would be 6-8 SPARC's per Turbo.  Lots of
caveates, lots of complicating factors but this will get you a start.  Get
your IBM rep for a sizing.  They should be able to get local FTSS
assistance for these kinds of estimates and help to get the utilization
measured, etc.

Joe Temple
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
845-435-6301  295/6301   cell 914-706-5211 home 845-338-8794

                      Gerard Graham
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      >                        cc:
                      Sent by: Linux on        Subject:  Processor Comparisons
                      390 Port
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      IST.EDU>

                      03/27/2003 10:23
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      Linux on 390 Port

 Has anyone gotten anywhere with processor comparisons ? I am now being
asked to give estimates such as what is the IBM equivalent in MIPs to a Sun
E4500/Solaris 8 CPU box or a Sun 4200 Solaris, I myself look at these
machines and have no idea how big or small they are.  I am not talking
utilization or what apps are running on it I am just trying to get some
kind of grid for comparisons. I am constantly being asked these questions
and people are tired of the canned "it depends" answer. It is difficult to
move forward with the Linux on z/series without some kind of ballpark
numbers. Again ballpark I can't give a potential customer the how a CPU
works answer they will just look away and go and by another server.  Any
help is appreciated.

This message and its attachments may contain  privileged and confidential
information.  If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are prohibited
from printing, forwarding, saving or copying this email.  If you have
received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender and
delete this e-mail and its attachments from your computer.