Scott Courtney wrote:
On Thursday 27 March 2003 03:59 pm, Michael MacIsaac wrote:

Is anyone using an encrypted file system on Linux (the data is
encrypted/decrypted betwee the disk and the OS)?  Is there a de facto
standard or is this still somewhat bleeding edge with Linux?  How does it
compare with MS EFS?  ADthanksVANCE.

I have had excellent results using encrypted filesystems built on the loopback
device under SuSE Linux. I haven't done it on zSeries yet, only on Intel, so
I can't tell you about the computational load it imposes on a zSeries CPU.
[snip]
http://www.linuxsecurity.com/docs/HOWTO/Encryption-HOWTO/Encryption-HOWTO-4.html

Scott

Good comments and pointer there, Scott. I read an article recently that mentions the not only the loopback method, using the recent LinuxCryptoAPI, but also a kernel-resident solution - CryptoFS - and compares them to Microsoft's EFS. Looks like you might find it useful, and the bonus pointers in the references.

Cryptographic Filesystems: Design and Implementation
http://securityfocus.com/infocus/1673

jmc