From: Davis, Ron
Sent: Friday, April 04, 2003 9:38 AM
To: 'Linux on 390 Port'
Subject: RE: How many printers per Samba instance?

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the answers so far, especially David Boyes' very lucid
explanations. Luckily most of our printers (but not all, as always there's a
somewhat eclectic mix) are postscript capable, so we're better off than we
might have been.  Looks like we're going to have to budget for some
additional Linux instances, has anybody got any good tips on how to break
bad news to management? :)

However, based on Lucius's remark below, there seems to be at least 2 of us
seeking the answer as to why n small instances of Samba are "better" than
one "big" one.  No doubt the solution lies within VM, but as I have no real
experience with VM I can't guess what it is!

Anybody care to try to enlighten us?

Thanks again, this is a great forum, I've been lurking for months and have
learned a lot!

Ron Davis
IT Infrastructure
Dept of Veterans' Affairs