When somebody tells me something is very fast - I always
wonder at the value. Like having a car that will easily
do 150MPH on roads supposedly limited to 65mph... It's
fun, it's fast, it's expensive, but not all that useful.

Though I've heard that context switching is faster -
is it relevant?

I've had some instrumentation put into linux to show by
system, and by process the context switching rate of
production systems to validate if this is relevant or
something that just does not matter.  Results to follow.

>From: Phil Payne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>> I would add to this: very fast context switching between tasks.
>
>Not a nitpick, but a refinement - /390 is not especially good at
>context switching, but it is supreme at switching BACK.  If a
>task is redispatched on the same processor, it's a matter of a
>few cycles until it looks like it was never interrupted.
>
>--
>  Phil Payne
>  http://www.isham-research.com
>  +44 7785 302 803
>  +49 173 6242039

"If you can't measure it, I'm Just NOT interested!"(tm)

Barton Robinson - CBW     Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Velocity Software, Inc    Mailing Address:
 196-D Castro Street       P.O. Box 390640
 Mountain View, CA 94041   Mountain View, CA 94039-0640

VM Performance Hotline:   650-964-8867
Fax: 650-964-9012         Web Page:  WWW.VELOCITY-SOFTWARE.COM