From: Daniel Jarboe [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2003 10:29 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: End_request: I/O error

Any ideas what could cause this in console log (and /var/log/messages).

May 30 11:13:24 linprox kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 5e:01
(dasd), sector  3429792

May 30 11:13:24 linprox kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 5e:01
(dasd), sector  3429768

May 30 11:13:24 linprox kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 5e:01
(dasd), sector  3429528

May 30 11:13:24 linprox kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 5e:01
(dasd), sector  3429304

May 30 11:13:24 linprox kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 5e:01
(dasd), sector  3429024

The device corresponds to /dev/dasda1 which is dasd=8666(ro) in zipl's
parmfile and ro in fstab.  It seems to happen with squid activity.  I
have to wonder if it's more than something trying to write to the R/O
portions of the filesystem because if I do a touch then I get an error
in my shell "touch: creating `blah': Read-only file system" but none of
these I/O error messages.  This is with basevol+guestvol disgussed in
Large Scale Linux sg246824.  It's interesting that they are different
sectors, but fairly close together.

RH 2.4.9-43 under z/VM.

That device is also defined vm-wise to another image (R/W), but that
other image is not up.

Thanks for any help!
~ Daniel

This message is the property of Time Inc. or its affiliates. It may be
legally privileged and/or confidential and is intended only for the use
of the addressee(s). No addressee should forward, print, copy, or
otherwise reproduce this message in any manner that would allow it to be
viewed by any individual not originally listed as a recipient. If the
notified that any unauthorized disclosure, dissemination, distribution,
copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the information
herein is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication
in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this message.
Thank you.