On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 09:26:54PM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Sergey Korzhevsky wrote:
> >
> > > or use rpm --nodeps if you have all needed packages.
> >

> > That's only for the desperate. --nodeps is almost never a good idea.
>
> Likewise for installing RPMs and Debian packages directly on the same
> system. :-)

Yes, but that's different. Presumably you do that only when there's not
a deb, and then (as I counselled), converting a n rpm to a deb is the
way to go.

You only use --nodeps on rpm if you have particular knowledge that it's
okay, perhaps because the dependencies are met outside of rpm, or
because you know that the functionality requiring the unmet dependecies
won't be exercised.

eg, let us say the the tar package was split, and that rmt was packaged
separately. The package "tar" might "require" "rmt," but you might
choose to force tar to install by using --nodeps, accepting that you'd
not be able to use remote tapes.

If you blindly install rpms using '--nodeps' then you take the risk that
the package simply will not work.

--

Cheers
John.