Michael,

Normally, sendmail is controlled by /etc/init.d/sendmail.  An imap server is
(somewhat) unrelated to sendmail, and uses port 143.  The sendmail daemon
uses port 25 and is considered an MTA (mail transfer agent) as opposed to a
mail delivery agent.  An MTA normally runs all the time as a daemon, and is
not started by inetd.  When I look at the contents of /etc/init.d/sendmail
in SLES8, I see this:
        startproc    -p $srvpid /usr/sbin/sendmail $SENDMAIL_ARGS

So, the tcp wrapper program (tcpd) is not invoking sendmail.  Now, whether
sendmail was compiled with tcp wrapper support or not is another matter.

You could try starting sendmail with debugging turned on "-dX" where "X" is
a number, and see if anything interesting comes out when a 192.168.x.x host
connects.

Now having done a "man 5 hosts_access" command, I see this:
PATTERNS
  The access control language implements the following patterns:
  o  A  string  that  begins  with a `.' character. A host name is matched
if the
     last components of its name match the specified pattern.  For  example,
the
     pattern `.tue.nl' matches the host name `wzv.win.tue.nl'.

  o  A  string  that  ends with a `.' character. A host address is matched
if its
     first numeric fields match the  given  string.   For  example,  the
pattern
    `131.155.'  matches the address of (almost) every host on the Eindhoven
Uni-
     versity network (131.155.x.x).

So, it looks like you should be specifying "192.168." as your addresses to
be blocked.