I'm obviously doing something really stupid. I'm running RH 9.0 on my Intel
box at home. I run Hercules/390 2.17.1 to create an S/390 environment. I
ipl'ed the Debian 3.0r1 (woody) install on this. I get IP connectivity from
the installation program to the RH 9.0 host. I can format the 3390-3
emulated DASD just fine. But when I try to install the kernel, I'm dead in
the water. I tried using the "ftp" method. Apparently I have something set
up wrong on RH 9.0 (vsftpd) because "anonymous" cannot see much of anything.
I can't figure out this problem, I spent about 3 hours last night trying to
configure vsftpd correctly and got nowhere. I noticed that the "ftp" method
used wget. I could "invoke a shell" on the Debian install and found that if
I used the form: wget ftp://userid:[EMAIL PROTECTED]//... that I could get to
the files. However when I try to use that form in the installation dialog,
the installer takes the "userid" as the hostname and dies. So, I tried using
the NFS method. I set up the exports correctly. I know they work because I
can use another Linux system on my LAN to do an NSF mount of the Debian
installation directory on my RH 9.0 system. But all I get when I try on
Debian is "incorrect parameter" or some such thing. Again, this was trying
using the "invoke a shell" function on the Debian install, using the "mount"
command. I plan to create a 3390-9 volume next. I will then IPL the
installation tape, do an "invoke a shell" and use the wget command that I
got working to copy the installation files from the RH 9.0 to the filesystem
on the 3390-9 volume (they should all fit).

Any ideas as to what I am overlooking? I know that it can be done because
others have done it.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its' content is
protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete
this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or
distribution of this transmission, or taking any action based on it, is
strictly prohibited.