Thanks to Guillaume and Matt for responding to my questions. I am sure I
will have more to follow.
Guillaume wrote:
I don't know SLES7. FWIW, just some precisions about
netfilter/ipchains/iptables.

> Netfilter and iptables are the same thing -- I think.  If I remember
> correctly, ipchains was installed by default on SLES7.  I think Ihad to
get
> iptables off of the developer CDs.

Netfilter is the actual filter/nat framework in the 2.4 kernels. Iptables
refers to the standard userspace tools used
to configure netfilter. But it would be possible to write another one.

Ipchains refers both to the nat/filter code of the 2.2 kernels and to the
userspace tool used to configure the kernel
part. Due to the modular nature of netfilter, it's been possible to write
a ipchains compatibility plugin for netfilter. So
you can use the ipchains binary to configure netfilter (provided your
kernel supports it) but you can use all of its
advanced features.

Guillaume Morin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Matt wrote:
Netfilter and iptables are the same thing -- I think.  If I remember
correctly, ipchains was installed by default on SLES7.  I think Ihad to get
iptables off of the developer CDs.  We used SuSEfirewall2 under SLES7 (as
well as SLES8 now) to configure our firewalls/iptables.  It's a pretty ok
script and it seems to be really complete.  Lots of things in the script
that some may not think about setting if they were building a firewall from
scratch.

Matt Lashley
Idaho State Controller's Office

Regards,