On Wednesday, 08/06/2003 at 07:36 ZE8, John Summerfield
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It's time someone tried for new records there: that's quite old now, and
> IBM has new boxes.
>
> Other than "it depends," how many copies is a reasonable upper limit?
> Where do the VM overheads become too significant? Are there workloads
> that will fully load a top-end zBox running one copy of Linux, and if
> so, is this as sensible as tens of thousands of copies?

Since I can't say "it depends," I'll have to say "there are various
factors such as h/w configuration, and CPU and memory utilization patterns
that affect the answer to your question".  :-)  We use the phrase "tens to
hundreds" because that matches the real-world experience of our customers.
 I think "tens of thousands" is not reasonable right now.

I'd rather split that load into multiple VM instances rather than load
down a single VM instance anyway.  Easier to manage; easier to control. (I
wouldn't want to explain to the boss why a loss of an LPAR or VM image
took down 20,000 servers with it.  Just because I didn't want to create
another VM instance?  Hmmmm.....)

That old saying applies: Just because you *can* do it doesn't mean you
*should* do it.  (Maybe the Jurassic Park image will help? :-) )

Alan Altmark
Sr. Software Engineer
IBM z/VM Development