From: James Melin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 9:56 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: XNTP providing time source to Windex 2003 server

The windex folks are trying to get windows 2003 server to get the time from
my Linux box 'rockhopper' using the net time command from within a shell.

the command and results are this:

H:\>net time \\rockhopper
System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.

They are telling me it has to be an authentication issue with Linux. I am
telling them that this is impossible since xntpd is providing a tcp/ip
service on a tcp/ip port. The service does not authenticate, and the tcp/ip
layer does not authenticate therefore it's not a Linux problem.

What I suspect is that their windows server is trying to treat Linux like a
domain controller. They also think that because I have SAMBA running, their
time request must be being delivered by SMB (false, of course)

Does anyone know what you have to twiddle in order to make the windex time
thing get time from an ntp time server?